Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

"Emily of New Moon" - Book Review

I recently read Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery. It is book one in The Emily Trilogy.

At the beginning of this book Emily Byrd Starr finds out that her father is dying. When he dies, her mother's side of the family, the Murrays-known for their pride and a little haughtiness in some members-, all come to pay respects to Douglas Starr -- and to decide what to do with Emily. Not knowing who should take her in, they draw lots and Aunt Elizabeth is the one who gets to raise Emily from now on. Emily doesn't care much for Aunt Elizabeth, but really likes the other two residents of New Moon: Aunt Laura, and we can't forget Cousin Jimmy, whom everyone says is simple (being knocked down a well accidentally by Elizabeth as a child), though Emily just can't see it. Emily has to go to New Moon and throughout the book we read of her trials, triumphs, and of the mischief she can sometimes make. Towards the end of the book, she and Aunt Elizabeth come to tolerate one another more
and even love each other.

At the beginning of the book I really didn't want to read it and thought about just putting it away, it just felt a little dark, I don't mean dark as in creepy, but it wasn't very cheerful. I'm glad that I didn't put it away. Although, there is a different feel to the book than Anne of Green Gables has, I still really enjoyed it.

I would like to name a few similarities between Anne Shirley and Emily Starr:
1. They both have a vivid imagination, though Anne's is a bit larger.
2. They both have to deal with a strict guardian, though Aunt Elizabeth makes Marilla seem lovely.
3. They both love to dramatize, making things bigger than they appear.
I'm sure there are more similarities, but those are the ones that I can remember.
I'm going to give Emily of New Moon 4 out of 5 stars! If you enjoy Anne of Green Gables, then I suggest you give this book a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment